Monday, January 16, 2017

When we are being rejected by everyone, it testifies to me that there is a God

Olà, Tudo Bem?

I hope that everything is well back home. Thanks for all the Birthday wishes this week. The big 19 -- wow I am so old. We celebrated my birthday by eating Kebab. This was like the third time we went to that restaurant to get kebab in the past two weeks but it was still special-ish.
 
We meet a lot of interesting people here in Portugal. There is so much diversity here it's so funny the different reactions we get from the young African guys to the old Portuguese women. It also makes street contacting extremely funny (especially when it's one of those old Portuguese ladies that has a walker and is trying to run away really "fast" because she is catholic). Everyone wants to practice their English with us but we only respond in Portuguese. We pretend that we don't understand English (which is pretty hard for me because I don't understand Portuguese. So I guess I just look really confused and stupid all the time). People don't believe us because we are two tall white dudes that look nothing like we are Potuguese. Elder Thompson likes to ask people where they think we are from (it's obvious we are not from Portugal  because of our accent). We met this Indian guy that would only respond to us in English. He only wanted to talk about America, so we asked him what he thought about America and he responded with his Indian accent "Oh I love America, America number 1". Good times.
 
This week was pretty rough. We had three straight days were we had a lot of appointments set up that all fell through. After this week I am thinking about becoming a professional speed-walker after I go home. I am getting some pretty good training with the amount of walking we do in between appointments that have fallen through. I don't know why and I don't understand how but when we are being rejected by everyone it testifies to me that there is a God and we are doing his work. I am here to do  his work and his will.
 
I know that I can't do the Lord's work with my own power I need his help. This week has shown me that I REALLY need his help. We have met and taught people by the Lord's hand. This is His work and he will do it by his will. I feel like Alma: I know that I am nothing ; as to my strength I am weak; therefore I will not boast of myself, but I will boast of my God, for in his strength I can do all things ; yea, behold, many mighty miracles we have wrought in this land, for which we will praise his name forever. 

No comments:

Post a Comment