Monday, December 19, 2016

Stuck in an elevator

Ola! Tudo bem?
Feliz Natal a tudo mundo. 
 
This week was interesting. I am still getting adjusted to the culture and the language. I don't understand exactly what people are saying but it's all cool because I understand the general message, so that's exciting. Also since I don't speak English that much, I am starting to forget how to say some stuff. So I speak really bad Portuguese and really bad English.
 
This week is the week before Christmas, therefore people have put up Christmas decorations. Not as many lights here as there are back home. The ward here had a Christmas party on Saturday. The missionaries were assigned to do a skit in the middle of it. I am a missionary and therefore I participated in this skit. I did not say anything because people do not understand the «Elder Fogg Portuguese». Our Mission is also having a Christmas conference. Each zone had to perform a presentation for this conference so my companion, who is one of the Zone leaders, thought it would be a good idea to do a Christmas Musical Extravaganza, so they wrote a play about how Santa Claus was baptized. Elder Harker and I are supposed to be dancing fishes (I think I didn't really understand any of the words they used).

On Friday most of our appointments cancelled on us, so we thought it would be a good idea to visit our friend Nathan. He buzzed us into his apartment and we got on the elevator. The elevator stopped and we were stuck. We just sat there for a few minutes because my trainer didn't know what to do (which means that this probably doesn't happen often in Portugal which is a good thing). After fifteen minutes of being in the elevator, I pressed the button again and it started moving. We visited with Nathan and thought it best to use the stairs on the way down. 
 
My companion showed me this verse and I really liked it: Behold, I am a disciple of Jesus Christ, the Son of God. I have been called of him to declare his word among his people, that they might have everlasting life.  I have been called by a prophet of God to preach His message of happiness to the world.
 
I know this church is true. I know that Joseph Smith was a prophet called by God to restore His church on the earth by his authority. I know that Jesus Christ was born onto this earth so that we can become cleansed from our sins. Christ is the greatest gift. Merry Christmas.
 
Elder Fogg

No comments:

Post a Comment